[tz] mailing list, tone, respect, bugs, suggestions

Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 03:28:28 UTC 2012

was: Wikipedia - blocking time zone contributors - massive insertion
of errors by AlanM1 - win-win if people cooperate

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 4:01 AM, David Patte <dpatte at relativedata.com> wrote:
> I think this is the biggest issue with Conradi. I believe he has made 'some'
> valuable comments and contributions over the last month (some - but not
> all),
Who sent more new bug reports and reminders of previously reported bugs than me?

>but his attitude has turned the majority of this list against him
What is your source for that. Maybe at first you could release a
number of how many subscribers are on the list?

> whether he has any points that have any merit or not.
That would tell more about others than about me.

> Mr. Conradi, if you so dearly want to 'fix bugs' in the db, as much as we
> all do,
I don't know how much all others do. I see no fix by the current TZ
Coordinator at all.

> I would suggest you learn how to present your suggestions as just
> that - suggestions - and with humility.
Why humility? Does that change the facts?

>Maybe its an issue you have with translation,
> or perhaps something else, but your presentation has turned
> most people off providing you any futrther support for your ideas.
Regrettably, because I think I sometimes make errors and am happy to
learn from feedback.

> You would
> have gotten a lot further by granting those that have been on this list as
> contributors or maintainers some respect;
So you mean I didn't grant them some respect? I think I have gotten
quite far. I have exposed lots of bugs in the database and in the
management. If the management is not happy to hear this, and other
people don't see the bugs, or are afraid to raise their voice, then
shall I stop raising mine? What's up with the bugs in Siberia?

> and I assure you that if you had
> done that that you might have gained more consideration for your
> 'suggestions'.
Siberia stays wrong, despite people knowing it, because the one who
reported it didn't show respect? What strange game is that? What's the
purpose

> If you have a suggestion for the database, please state it as a suggestion,
Several instance where I titled emails with Propose/Proposal can be
found at http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2012-May/thread.html

The word "suggest" in a title of an email by me can be seen at
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2011-September/

"Post-1970 errors in Russian zones, suggest zones Asia/Tomsk, Asia/Barnaul "

That is Siberia!

> and back up your suggestion with documentation
Can you show any bug report or proposal by me that came without?

> - and stop accusing others of
> not doing their part.
Where did I do that?

I think the only person that has an official part in fixing zone data
bugs in the database is the current TZ Coordinator, named Paul Eggert.

> That would help us all.
"us"? Does that "us" include the users that are confronted with the
IANA time zone database bugs? Bouvet Island, Siberia, place vs
location, gmt vs utc, tz at elsie.nci.nih.gov vs tz at iana.org (the latter
resulting in bouncing email)...?

--
Tobias Conradi