[tz] tz abbreviations / zdump for programmers

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 11:46:30 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-06 11:52, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> John Haxby said:
>> It's not that long ago that someone thought we in the UK were on GMT all year round.
>
> Microsoft still do (or at least seem to think that "GMT" means "UK legal
> time").

It seems fairly hard for the user to tell if their Windows computer is
currently showing daylight savings time or not!  E.g. on my XP virtual
machine, the 'Date and Time Properties' dialog claims the current time
zone is "GMT Standard Time" on the 'Date & Time' tab, displayed as
"(GMT) Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London" in the
drop down list on the 'Time Zone' tab.  In the registry, there is a
sub-key called 'GMT Standard Time' that contains a registry value 'Dlt'
set to "GMT Daylight Time".  I don't know if that string registry value
ever gets displayed by the system in normal operation.

--
-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <abbotti at mev.co.uk>        )=-
-=( Tel: +44 (0)161 477 1898   FAX: +44 (0)161 718 3587         )=-