[tz] Idea for internationalized time point unique time zone abbreviations

David Braverman david at braverman.org
Wed Jun 6 17:16:02 UTC 2012

Alan Perry said:
> The Zone name is unique. Why does a timezone need two unique identifiers?

I agree: one unique identifier seems sufficient, and is consistent with general database principles.

I believe abbreviations are a UI problem and not directly related to calculating wall-clock time in a particular location. I think we should keep them, for convenience, but ultimately it's up to implementers to display meaningful, localized, user-consumable strings on a UI. It's not up to a lower-level system dealing with time zone calculations.

David Braverman
http://www.inner-drive.com/Demo/TimeZones.aspx