[tz] Idea for internationalized time point unique time zone abbreviations

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at Shaw.ca
Thu Jun 7 02:16:42 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-06 09:35, Boruch Baum wrote:

> CRITICISM: As Andy Lipscomb, Brian Inglis and Peter Machata all
> recently posted, localizations for all timezone names and
> abbreviations can (and should) be expected to be in the local language
> and character set.
>
> Who is/are responsible for maintaining each locality's localization
> lists, in order, for example, to guarantee uniqueness?
>
> The GLIBC library of GNU/Linux currently has a function nl_langinfo,
> which gives programmers an easy way to localize pretty much all time
> and date related data elements... but not timezone names or
> abbreviations. The GNU/Linux coreutil commandline 'date +%Z' command
> will return a timezone abbreviation, but seemingly never localized. I
> see no option in the GNU/Linux coreutil commandline 'date' command to
> return a timezone name.
>
> So how do locales represent timezone strings in their own localization?
>
> I recently started testing my libhdate collection under a variety of
> locales, so I had a small script all ready for this test:

> #!/bin/bash
> # locale_test.sh
> # execute an arbitrary command from a list of locales
> # note: the locales must first be defined using localedef(1). This
> usually requires administrator privileges
>
> locales=( \
> he_IL Hebrew Israel \
> de_DE German Germany \
> pt_BR Portuguese Brazil \
> ru_RU Russian Russia \
> ar_MA Arabic Morocco \
> es_AR Spanish Argentina \
> es_MX Spanish Mexico \
> fr_FR French France \
> fr_CA French Canada \
> hi_IN Hindi India \
> fa_IR Farsi Iran \
> ja_JP Japanese Japan \
> ko_KR Korean Korea     \
> hy_AM Armenian Armenia \
> ka_GE Georgian Georgia \
> am_ET Amharic Ethiopia \
> zz
> )
>
> i=0
> while [[ "${locales[$i]}" != "zz" ]]; do
>     echo -e "\e[48;5;234mcommand: $*, locale: ${locales[$i]}
> ${locales[$i+1]} ${locales[$i+2]}\e[01;00m"
>     env LC_ALL=${locales[$i]}.UTF-8 $*
>     i=$i+3
>     done

> $ ./locale_test.sh TZ='Asia/Tehran' date +"%A_%B_%Z"
> command: TZ=Asia/Tehran date +%A_%B_%Z, locale: he_IL Hebrew Israel
> רביעי_יוני_IRDT
> command: TZ=Asia/Tehran date +%A_%B_%Z, locale: de_DE German Germany
> Mittwoch_Juni_IRDT
> command: TZ=Asia/Tehran date +%A_%B_%Z, locale: pt_BR Portugese Brazil
> quarta_junho_IRDT
> command: TZ=Asia/Tehran date +%A_%B_%Z, locale: ru_RU Russian Russia
> Среда_Июнь_IRDT
> command: TZ=Asia/Tehran date +%A_%B_%Z, locale: ar_MA Arabic Morocco
> الأربعاء_يونيو_IRDT
> command: TZ=Asia/Tehran date +%A_%B_%Z, locale: es_AR Spanish Argentina
> miércoles_junio_IRDT
> [...]

CLDR would need to collect timezone names and abbreviations for each
combo of Olson/IANA timezone (which specifies an associated territory/
country code in the zone.tab file), standard/daylight state, and
languages used in that territory.
So for any timezone and territory, localization is likely to be possible
only for those languages used (or the subset provided in the CLDR, which
may be only the officially supported languages) in that territory for
that timezone and state.

For Canada, English and French names and abbreviations are provided, but
do how those are rendered into say Chinese, Arabic, and Hebrew depend on
whether the populations using those languages are in North American
English, French, or their native locales?

So limited localization may be supported by CLDR, but it is likely to be
a large effort and a long time before internationalization of timezone
names and abbreviations could be supported, as the locales required
could be a large subset of the product of all languages and territories.