[tz] Australian Time Zone Abbreviations Discussion Review

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Mon Mar 5 09:43:13 UTC 2012

On Mon, 05 Mar 2012, Shaun Bouckaert wrote:
> I started a discussion on this mailing list in November 2011
> in regards to the incorrect time zone abbreviations used for
> Australian time zones. Initially there were several responses,
> the majority of which were positive to change, and yet the
> conversation seems to have died off.

As far as I have been able to make out from earlier rounds of this
discussion, people, news organisations, and government sites in
Australia use both sets of abbreviations (with and without the "A"
prefix), and even "official" sources disagree.  Therefore, there
seemed to be no basis for labelling one set of abbreviations as
"incorrect", or even for concluding that one set was better than
the other.  Therefore, it seemed best to remain with the status
quo.

The situation may have changed now, but if so, I suggest that that
you try to present an unbiased analysis of which abbreviations
receive the greater use on the ground, instead of starting off
with an unqualified statement about the current abbreviations
being "incorrect".

--apb (Alan Barrett)