[tz] Bugs in Russia - Seven month past since 2011-09-17 - still not fixed

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Wed May 2 10:12:12 UTC 2012

    Date:        Wed, 2 May 2012 08:36:53 +0200
    From:        Alan Barrett <apb at cequrux.com>

  | Sorry, it's still incomprehensible to me.  (I am skipping over the
  | Russian text, and reading only the English parts.)

I'm with Alan, I've read the messages a few times now, and I don't
have the vaguest idea what was requested to be changed, or why.

And ...

tobias.conradi at gmail.com said:
  | But anyway, as long as as one of the main maintainers makes up new rules on
  | the fly ("The first order of business is to ensure that current (2012) time
  | stamps are handled correctly throughout Russia.")

that isn't "making up new rules on the fly" - our primary objective is to
have people's clocks display the correct local time for *now*, and after that
to be able to correctly translate historical timestamps, and then, as best
we are able, guess at reasonable likely conversions of future timestamps.

As long as everyone has some TZ value they can set to achieve those
objectives, as much as it is possible, then we're mostly done - everything
beyond that is just a frill.

Note in particular that this project does not provide any kind of mapping
service - determining which zone someone should use to get the correct
timestamp translations is not our problem - we don't set out to make that
needlessly difficult, but nor is that a problem we are attempting to solve.

kre