[tz] Bugs in Russia - Seven month past since 2011-09-17 - still not fixed

Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
Thu May 3 03:19:05 UTC 2012

> "Suggested new zone:
> Asia/Barnaul, split from Asia/Omsk"
>
>>or why.
> "Moves to Omsk Time"
>

> I think I see the problem. "Split from Asia/Omsk" implies that the area
> involved was already on Omsk time. If it moved to Omsk time, then it was
> in some other zone previously, and is split from that zone.

Andy, thanks for this. Actually both /could/ be true.

The two Altais (proposed "Asia/Barnaul") could have observed the time
of Asia/Omsk in the past (Omsk Time), then for some years they didn't,
because Omsk changed it's offset from Moscow. So the split from Omsk
occurred in reality too. Later they join Omsk Time (Omsk Time Zone),
i.e. observe the time of Asia/Omsk tz zone, but they stay in
Asia/Barnaul tz zone.

But at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omsk_Time
I see no indication that the Altais did observe Omsk Time in the past.
It looks as if it was Novosibirsk Time, i.e. when Novosibirsk changed
to Omsk Time, Novosibirsk and the Altais split. So the real split
occurred from Asia/Novosibirsk.

--
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18