[tz] proposed changes: past Altai/Tomsk time zone shifts

Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
Thu May 3 21:28:26 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 8:07 PM, OvV_HN <ovv at hetnet.nl> wrote:

> Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
> Thu May 3 15:02:15 UTC 2012
>

> First I suggest to change "[This region consists of]" as e.g. in
> ! # From Oscar van Vlijmen (2001-08-25): [This region consists of]
> to "[This zone consists of]" since I assume "region" here refers to
> the tzdb zone.
>
> Second I suggest to
> A) either use the names of the country subdivisions as in the
> Wikipedia article names......
>
> etc., etc.
>

> Reply:
>
> .... my advice would be: just stick as close as you can
> get (with a reasonable transliteration) to the official region names,
> as
> stated in the law regarding time zones, to be foud at:
> http://www.garant.ru/hotlaw/federal/346568/
> (in Russian).

That's what I proposed. Where you put "etc., etc." it said

B) to use the BGN/PCGN names as listed in ISO 3166-2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-2:RU

BGN/PCGN is a transliteration scheme.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BGN/PCGN_romanization_of_Russian

Your proposal stating "with a reasonable transliteration" doesn't
define a scheme, mine did.

Furthermore it says in
tzdata2012c\europe
# From Oscar van Vlijmen (2009-11-29):
# The Sakha districts are: Aldanskij,

Which suggests you yourself didn't apply what you now suggest, since
"district" is not the result of any transliteration.

That's what my proposal is about, fixing the inconsistency, to make
reading, searching and parsing of the information in the file easier.

--
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18

http://tobiasconradi.com/