[tz] zone.tab comments Canada - places -> locations

Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
Fri May 11 06:24:40 UTC 2012

was "[tz] zone.tab comments Canada - places -> locations [OT - English]"
I return to on topic.

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 5:41 AM, Brian Inglis
<Brian.Inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca> wrote:
>> C)
>> I mean and meant location as in zone.tab
>> "Central Standard Time - Saskatchewan - most locations"
>>
>> D)
>> I mean and meant location as in Theory file:
> Use of location in Theory refers to a specific place
> to be used as the time zone name.
Not true.

tzcode2012b\Theory:
----- Names of time zone rule files -----
Names normally have the form AREA/LOCATION, where AREA is the name
of a continent or ocean, and LOCATION is the name of a specific
location within that region.

I.e. the /name of a specific location/ is to be used as one /part/ of
the time zone name.

> Use of places in zone.tab comments refers to the general locales where the
> same time zone is observed around the specific location used for the time
> zone name;
And the use of "locations" in zone.tab is the same.

Following are some quotes from RFC 5545
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5545
Internet Calendaring and Scheduling Core Object Specification

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5545#page-28
Failure to include and follow VTIMEZONE definitions in iCalendar
objects may lead to inconsistent understanding of the local time
at any given location.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5545#page-64
Many locations adjust their Standard Time
forward or backward by one hour, in order to accommodate seasonal
changes in number of daylight hours, often referred to as Daylight
Saving Time.  Some locations adjust their time by a fraction of an
hour.
This database contains current and
historical time zone information for a wide variety of
locations around the globe

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5545#section-3.8.1.7
Property Name:  LOCATION
Purpose:  This property defines the intended venue for the activity
      defined by a calendar component.

The IETF GEOPRIV site
https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/geopriv/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/geopriv/charter/
uses "location" and not "place".

Some related ISO standards:
a)
ISO 19112:2003
Geographic information -- Spatial referencing by geographic identifiers
4.4
location
identifiable geographic place
found via http://www.iso.org/obp/ui/

b)
http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_ics/catalogue_detail_ics.htm?csnumber=39242&ICS1=35&ICS2=040
ISO 6709:2008
Standard representation of geographic point location by coordinates

c)
http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=32551
ISO 19133:2005
Geographic information -- Location-based services -- Tracking and navigation

Annex:
Background information for when the inconsistencies first occurred in the tzdb:

tzdata1996l/zone.tab
did only have "most locations" and no "most places"
America/Halifax	Atlantic Time - Nova Scotia (most locations), New
Brunswick, Labrador & PEI
But did have
America/Glace_Bay	Atlantic Time - Nova Scotia - places that did not
observe DST 1966-1971
America/Nipigon	Eastern Time - Ontario & Quebec - places that did not
observe DST 1967-1973

tzdata1998a/zone.tab maybe earlier, contains "most places" once:
America/Halifax	Atlantic Time - Nova Scotia (most places), NB, W
Labrador, E Quebec & PEI

And twelve times "most locations".

--
Tobias Conradi