[tz] Propose to improve where to find rules for "Indian/Kerguelen"

Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
Sat May 12 03:43:35 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 5:12 AM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
> On 05/11/2012 07:19 PM, Tobias Conradi wrote:
>>
>> - to create a file "indian"
>

> We haven't created a file like that since 1988
> (when we added "africa" and "antarctica").
The only persons that created files like "africa", "antarctica",
"europe", have been Arthur and Paul?

tzdata1998a/zone.tab contains "Indian/Kerguelen" - so since 1998 the
"Indian/Kerguelen" rules can be found where?

Since 1998a there exists the "most places" (Nova Scotia) vs "most
locations" (all others) inconsistency in zone.tab.

Maybe some decade old issues can be fixed now.

>  If we
> add "indian" then for consistency we should also
> create "atlantic" and "pacific" and "arctic"
> as well,
Agreed, if. But the proposal contained other options

>  It's not clear that such a
> reorganization would overall be a win;
At least I would know where to find rules for "Indian/Kerguelen"

> these days, it
> might even make more sense to have one big text file
> than several little ones, if only to avoid
> arguments over how many files there should be and
> which entries should be in which file.
Agreed. I see no issue with merging the files like "africa",
"antarctica", "europe".

Do at least you know where the rules for "Indian/Kerguelen" are? If
so, I propose you share this knowledge in the Theory file or in
zone.tab.

--
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18