[tz] Theory - proposal to delete the reference to population

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Fri May 18 18:56:34 UTC 2012

Thanks for the very, very cool refs!

Having been on a Newport to Bermuda racing sailboat, I can testify from firsthand experience that there isn't any enforcement backing regulations about how clocks must be set aboard ships at sea. Natural Timezones and Territorial Waters are cool as can be, but our race start was noted in America/New_York, the finish was recorded in Bermuda local time (UTC-4?), and all we really cared about was the interval, plus restaurant closing times after we arrived.

Whether ship's time is constrained by anything other than the whim of the skipper is very dependent on circumstance. We didn't shift our watches mid-race to reflect the change.