[tz] Proposal to deprecate "." and "-" in zone names

Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
Fri May 25 23:02:51 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Ian Abbott <abbotti at mev.co.uk> wrote:
> On 25/05/12 00:27, Tobias Conradi wrote:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-CSS2-20080411/syndata.html#q4 says
>> "In CSS2, identifiers (including element names, classes, and IDs in
>> selectors) can contain only the characters [A-Za-z0-9] and ISO 10646
>> characters 161 and higher, plus the hyphen (-); they cannot start with
>> a hyphen or a digit. They can also contain escaped characters and any
>> ISO 10646 character as a numeric code (see next item). For instance,
>> the identifier "B&W?" may be written as "B\&W\?" or "B\26 W\3F"."
>>
>> To have / or \ in zone names needs escaping in CSS2 according to the
>> above, if one wants to use the names for classes or ids in CSS.
>

> I don't know why you'd want to convert timezone IDs to CSS2 IDs, but surely
> you'd have to escape the underscores as well.
One could draw maps, and have the coloring be done by CSS. I don't
know about restrictions for SVG ids. But at least a legend could be in
HTML and use CSS.

If in SVG "/" is not allowed for ids, then the / is hindering map creation.

There would be less trouble without the "/". If the "-" is not used in
name components, at least one easy conversion to a less troublesome
character would exist.

--
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18