[tz] Bug - Statement by Paul Eggert (a TZ Coordinator) on update process not agreeing with IANA sources

Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
Sat May 26 12:43:19 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
> On 05/25/2012 05:20 PM, Tobias Conradi wrote:
>>> this sort of behavior is
>> Counterproductive to what?
>
> Taunting and personal attacks
> are counterproductive to the
> primary purpose of this mailing list, which is maintaining
> the tz code and data.

To judge objectively if one person did do that more often than others,
it would be needed to at first identify occurrences of such behavior.

Furthermore it would be needed to have a complete list of what
constitutes counterproductive behavior, since otherwise actions may be
taken on counterproductive behavior that is to be found in one person,
but not on counterproductive behavior of another.

I for one would claim that asking a person that sends lots of reports
of bugs to the mailing list which is mentioned on
http://www.iana.org/time-zones as

"A higher volume discussion list used for discussing proposals for
updates to the Database. Contributions to this list may be emailed to
tz at iana.org."

to stop sending them to be counterproductive. It would be more
productive to change the description on the website about what the
mailing list is to be used for.

>  If this pattern continues, then I'm
> afraid we'll have to part ways.
You are free to leave the project. I would regret that some of your
knowledge would leave too, since the documentation is in some points
inconsistent, but probably it would be possible to sort that out.

>  We should not be wasting
> our time on argumentation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentation_theory
... argumentation, is the interdisciplinary study of how conclusions
can be reached through logical reasoning

I am here to improve the IANA time zone database by logical reasoning.
If that is wasting your time, why are you TZ Coordinator? Do you want
to maintain the database without logical reasoning? I don't see that
defined in Theory file or BCP 175.

--
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18