[tz] Bug - Statement by Paul Eggert (a TZ Coordinator) on update process not agreeing with IANA sources

SM sm at resistor.net
Sat May 26 22:18:59 UTC 2012

At 13:53 26-05-2012, Tobias Conradi wrote:
>Maybe your point of view is that of the RFC 6557 authors.

I can only express my view as an individual.  I don't know whether
the authors of RFC 6557 share my point of view.

>But I wonder whether IANA doesn't want to have some say about what
>happens in a project linked from the IANA homepage
>http://www.iana.org/.

At a guess some information about IANA actions may be in Section 8 of RFC 6557.

>The IANA time zone data is referred to by RFC4833, RFC5545,

The TZ database reference in RFC 4833 mentioned "Eggert, P. and A.
Olson".  There is a link to http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm

>How do you think an extreme case is defined? Is it an extreme case to
>have Russian zones wrong for more than half a year and to have no zone
>covering Bouvet Island, which has a UTC offset defined by Norwegian
>law?

I leave it to the time zone community or Paul Eggert to see whether a
case is extreme as it is easier than coming up with a definition.  In
my opinion the above examples seem more of a matter for Paul Eggert
to decide or the time zone community to agree upon.

Regards,
-sm