[tz] Fwd: [IANA #636310] how to check a time

Patrick O'Donnell pao at ascent.com
Fri Nov 30 18:58:08 UTC 2012

>From: Gemma Conn <gemma at biozone.co.nz>
>Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 14:28:26 +1300
>
>Can you point me in the direction of where I can double check that IANA =
>has the correct time for New Zealand? I am worried that IANA has the =
>wrong time for New Zealand, as Google Calendar which claims to use IANA =
>Time Zone Database, displays the incorrect time for New Zealand. It =
>displays GMT + 12 Auckland but it should be GMT + 13 Auckland, as we are =
>observing Daylight Savings time.

I suspect the Google Calendar user interface may be contrary to your
intuition.  The selector for time zone only lists the standard time
offset from GMT, without regard to DST status.

A quick test suggests that the correct time is used for events.  An
event with start time in my local zone (US EST) and end time in NZ
time has the correct duration.

		- Pat