[tz] Proposal for a modern 'Collapsed' Namespace

Derick Rethans tz at derickrethans.nl
Fri Oct 12 10:03:47 UTC 2012

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012, Guy Harris wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2012, at 6:59 PM, Walter <walter.stanish at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Please find attached my proposal
>
> It's actually just plain text (with an unnecessary <pre> before it), so here it is:
>
> # This file is in the public domain.
> # Author: Walter Stanish <walter at stani.sh> (2012-10-12)
> #
> # This file collapses multiple time zones in to a reduced
> # number of modern "time zones" (in the natural language
> # semantic sense) within the 'Collapsed/*' namespace for
> # user modern interface display purposes.

In my opinion, this does not belong in the timezone database, but rather
in a convenience layer within your project - or the Unicode's
Consortiums CLDR (http://cldr.unicode.org/). The CLDR already as a large
number of those user-friendly names in many languages already too. F.e.:
http://unicode.org/repos/cldr-tmp/trunk/charts/supplemental/zone_tzid.html
And in the common/main/<country>.xml files that you can download off
http://unicode.org/Public/cldr/22/

cheers,
Derick