[tz] Proposal for a modern 'Collapsed' Namespace

Walter walter.stanish at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 20:19:13 UTC 2012

> no, that's the data i told you Android uses several posts ago! those
> are localized names for the time zones. we're already all in agreement
> that that's a solved problem, solved by CLDR.

We are not in agreement on this point.

CLDR translates principal city names affiliated with timezones, and
provides a mapping to Windows timezones.  That is all.

(It doesn't define or translate timezone names, or allow for the
grouping of historical timezones in to a reduced set of entitites
suitable for presentation to end users.)

> i was saying that the useful thing i'm missing is _city_ names. (not
> exemplar names, either. re-read my original mail.)

It's easy to find internationalised geoname data... one approach might
be to look at language equivalence across the Wikipedia dataset,
another OpenStreetmaps, etc.

- Walter