[tz] Australian Timezone Abbreviations - Next step

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Sun Oct 21 11:25:43 UTC 2012

On 21/10/12 04:30 , Paul Eggert wrote:

I took the liberty of doing these tests too:

>     19,200,000 "EST" site:.au
>     22,700,000 "AEST" site:.au

So I checked the pages returned for EST. It wasn't until page 42 that
the first reference of EST with regarding to the timezone was there. And
the second one at page 53.

While going through this list, I've learned a lot of different meaning
for word "EST", in all its possible variations in spell capitalization.
And the last page, 71 in my case, has 5 of the 10 links related to
non-timezone related usage of the string EST.

On the other hand, because of the uniqueness of the string "AEST" (i.e.
the four letters aren't used anywhere except where to indicate the
timezone), you have 22,700,00 real hits, while you have 19,200,000 hits
on a word which usage highly varies.

Edwin