[tz] Australian Timezone Abbreviations - Next step

Random832 random832 at fastmail.us
Sun Oct 21 21:46:23 UTC 2012

On 10/21/2012 02:39 PM, enh wrote:
> at the risk of pouring more gas on a fire i don't even care about...
> fwiw, here's what Android has for the Australia/ zones, courtesy of
> CLDR via icu4c:
I believe CLDR actually localizes the australian timezones to have the A
internationally and not in en-AU. Of course, there is a legitimate
argument that tzdata should have international abbreviations and leave
localized ones to CLDR.

Actually... it's not clear to me why localization of abbreviations,
metazones, and any idea of timezone _names_ at all (i.e. the string
"Eastern Standard Time") is outside the scope of tzcode/tzdata. Other
than the fact that these days it would be redundant with CLDR, though an
implementation in tzcode to actually print the localized abbreviations
and names would still be useful.