[tz] tzdata2012f available

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Sep 14 23:33:03 UTC 2012

On 09/14/2012 04:15 PM, Robert Elz wrote:
> That is, the distributed tgz is made out of (slightly) modified copies
> of (some of) the files from the repository, not those files directly.

That "slightly" and "some of" are bothersome.  It's nicer if we can
distribute all files as-is.  The distributed files should
have all the info needed to make the distribution, so that the
whole procedure is self-documenting and automatic.

> You don't want to include it in just one tgz file

Yes, and that's the advantage of putting the data version number
into (say) zone.tab.  This would avoid races on extraction and
the other problems that you mentioned.  So perhaps we should do
it that way, even if it's a bit more error-prone because the two
version numbers are in different files.