[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Mon Apr 1 10:28:39 UTC 2013

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013, David Patte ₯ wrote:
> For those blocking this from being fixed, the most common excuse
> is that tz is not supposed to impose its own abbreviations upon
> its users, but by not going with anything the Australians are
> using - tz is doing exactly that.

I don't think that anybody wants the tz database to use different
abbreviations from what is in common use in Australia.

What's blocking this from being *changed* is that we believe that
the existing abbreviations *are* in common use in Australia,
but that other abbreviations are also in common use, and we
have no good way to choose between the two (or more) sets of
abbreviations, so it seems best to retain the status quo.

If you want change, then it is incumbent on you to demonstrate
that your preferred abbreviations are either in wider use than
the alternatives, or have more official government backing than
the alternatives.  Selective quoting from some web sites does not
constitute such a demonstration.

--apb (Alan Barrett)