[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Mon Apr 1 15:50:59 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013, at 10:45, Robert Elz wrote:
> You keep missing the point, in Aust there is no such thing as DST, there
> is Summer Time.   Eastern Summer Time and Central Summer Time (no
> Western...)

Why does everyone call it that, then?

http://www.safework.sa.gov.au/show_page.jsp?id=2675
http://www.communityrelations.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/cru/daylight.html

http://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/A/DAYLIGHT%20SAVING%20ACT%201971.aspx

Also...
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/act+149+1987+cd+0+N

Oops, I guess it should be NSWST (for New South Wales Standard/Summer
Time), not EST. I'd think that with your insistence on only following
state law, that therefore you should support the "abandon the status
quo" option along with the rest of us (and then you can support NSWT or
NSWST or whatever in the "what now?" vote after)

Still one acronym year-round, but at least there wouldn't be any
confusion against the timezone described here:
http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/S/StandTimeA1894.pdf
...which isn't called Eastern Standard Time either.