[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 2 06:12:20 UTC 2013

(Weedwhacker applied to the Cc list.)

Robert Elz <kre at munnari.OZ.AU> writes:

> Now if you're thinking that that would make the acronym useless, and
> pointless, then you're finally getting it.  And no, it is not our job to
> fix that, the API is defined by POSIX, if you want the definition fixed,
> go complain to them, not to us.

I would say that there's no hope, but after decades and innumerable
security holes, the ISO C standard seems to have officially killed gets().
Sadly, security is an easier argument than "it's been a bad idea ever
since people in more than one country used it," but maybe after another
couple of decades someone will manage to kill %Z and tzname.