[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Tue Apr 2 19:54:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013, at 15:39, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> Please bear in mind that the "D" means nothing to most people in the
> English-speaking world - "Daylight Saving" is an American construct that
> is
> both meaningless and not used by the rest of us.
>
> I would actually suggest that the Australian abbreviations be "EST" and
> "ESuT" if we were going in that direction. (But I'm still in favour of
> status quo.)

I'll call your attention once again to the fact that despite certain
people's protests to the contrary, every state government website calls
it that, and the government acts in NSW, Tasmania, and SA, respectively,
are called Standard Time Amendment (Daylight
Saving) Act 2005, Daylight Saving Act 2007, and the Daylight Saving Act
1971.

Even if it doesn't have any "official" standing (but then, neither does
"Eastern"), you can't credibly argue it 'means nothing'.