[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Apr 2 23:02:25 UTC 2013

On 04/02/2013 12:54 PM, Tim Parenti wrote:
> I'm certain there is *no* documented use of "ESuT" as an abbreviation within Australia

Sorry, but that's incorrect.  "ESuT" is commonly
used by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.
This has been discussed on this list before; please see
<http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2001-April/011521.html> and
<http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2010-June/016235.html>.

Unfortunately I forgot about ESuT and CSuT when I did my most-recent
survey of time zone abbreviation usage in Australia, so we don't
have measurements (as imprecise as they are) about how popular
these abbreviations are in practice.

Some software does support ESuT/CSuT; e.g., see
<http://support.novell.com/docs/Tids/Solutions/10051032.html>.