[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect

Stuart Bishop stuart at stuartbishop.net
Wed Apr 3 06:46:11 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 2:39 AM, Clive D.W. Feather <clive at davros.org> wrote:

> Please bear in mind that the "D" means nothing to most people in the
> English-speaking world - "Daylight Saving" is an American construct that is
> both meaningless and not used by the rest of us.

I disagree with this. In my experience in Melbourne, the term daylight
savings is indeed used.

Google backs me up.

305000 hits for melbourne clocks forward ("daylight saving" OR
"daylight savings") site:.au
19700 hits for melbourne clocks forward -("daylight saving OR
"daylight savings") site:.au

The term is used nearly every time we are reminded about upcoming
changes. Casual conversation is harder to gauge. I think you "enter
daylight savings" but you "are in summer time".

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart at stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/