[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

David Grosz david at DLG.com.au
Mon Apr 8 01:32:00 UTC 2013

I think if an 'A' were retained in front, it would help to distinguish from American Timezones.  In addition to AWST, ACST, ACDT, AEST and AEDT, we must make sure LHST and LHDT (same as AEDT) are included for Lord Howe Island.  Should an 'A' be in front of it too.  Also, the timezone used in Eucla, WA should be included.  This is 0:45 ahead of AWST and 0:45 behind ACST.  This is referred to as CWST.  Should there be an 'A' in front of it too.

My observations of these timezones are that there is no particular standard used on news, weather or even TV broadcasting which is the most common source of use.  Some stations refer to AEDT as AEDST which I think is wrong.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
David Grosz
Sydney, Australia

There are only 10 types of people in the world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

-----Original Message-----
From: tz-bounces at iana.org [mailto:tz-bounces at iana.org] On Behalf Of David Patte ?
Sent: 08 April 2013 11:20
To: tz at iana.org
Subject: Re: [tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

A group of us from the list have decided to put together a proposed patch to change the Australian abbreviations to S/D abbreviations. We are hoping, that the maintainers of tz decide to implement the patch in the tz database.

In the mean time:
- would the preference be to preceed the abbreviations with A, or not?
- historically, how far back should we apply the patch to the abbreviations.

We will submit the patch to the list for review, and hope it is implemented. But if it is not, we have decided to fork tz and provide a new distribution with the new abbreviations applied.

David Patte
Relative Data, Inc.