[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Peter Stagg P.Stagg at bom.gov.au
Mon Apr 8 04:25:55 UTC 2013

Thanks to David et al for taking this initiative.

In respons to the specific questions posed:
- would the preference be to preceed the abbreviations with A, or not?

I think the 'A' is most apropriate and is in keeping with my understanding of conventioned followed in Australia. It would also be very easy to deal with in the situation where a programer may want to drop the 'A'

- historically, how far back should we apply the patch to the abbreviations.

I'm in favour of retro-fitting it to the start of Daylight Savings in Australia (sate-based dependancies taken into account). After all its a bit like BC and AD. If you we're wandering around in 200BC you had no idea it was 200BC but today we would not refer to it as anything else (unless you don't use the christian calendar, of course).