[tz] Patched file australasia - time point unique abbreviations for Australia

Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 09:40:06 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:06 AM, Tobias Conradi
<tobias.conradi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 10:52 PM, David Grosz <david at dlg.com.au> wrote:

>> 2. For Lord Howe's daylight saving time, could we just report AEDT as it's
>> the same time as Sydney, Canberra, etc?
> Oh yes. Will have to look how to do this. That would also eliminate H
> = Half hour saving. LH specific DST code would be needed for 1981 to
> 1984 when saving was one hour.

Some further thoughts on this:

There are examples in the IANA time zone database where two areas
observe the same offset from UTC for some time of the year, but still
use different abbreviations for that time. UTC-07:00 is during US DST
observance called PDT in the US Pacific Zone and not MST, just because
it is the same offset as in Phoenix.

Another implication of using AEDT instead of LHHT is, that one may see
a clock set to AEDT and cannot derive what if will be after the end of
DST, either AEST of LHST.

So I now favor keeping LHHT as it is given in the patch.

--
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18

http://tobiasconradi.com/