[tz] EST/EDT vs AEST/AEDT in AQ

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Apr 15 16:57:59 UTC 2013

On 04/15/13 07:59, Tobias Conradi wrote:

> Reserving D in %s for 1:00 offset as has been done over years, i.e. is
> established practice

I'm not quite following all the proposal in this area, but "D"
also stands for "Double", as in BDST for British Double Summer Time.
There is a similar usage of "H" for Half, as in CKHST for
Cook Islands Half Summer Time.  If memory serves, CKHST, UYHST, etc.
are my own invention, while BDST is not: it comes from contemporaneous
British sources.  I came up with HST by analogy from DST.