[tz] Proposal to change Macquarie Island to be Australian territory

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Apr 17 21:39:21 UTC 2013

On 04/17/13 13:40, Ian Abbott wrote:

> will it eventually end up as Australia/Macquarie

As I understand it the Australian government says
Macquarie is in the Southern Ocean, where "Antarctica/"
might be more appropriate, whereas the International
Hydrographic Organization says Macquarie is in the
Pacific, where "Pacific/Macquarie" might be more
appropriate, and I suppose "Australia/Macquarie"
might also be considered appropriate since Macquarie
is on the boundary between the Indo-Australian and the
Pacific plates.  It is one of those odd boundary
cases.  I don't think it matters that much.
All other things being equal it's better to have
just one name, and perhaps we should just stick with
the one we've got.