[tz] Proposal regarding tz DB and leap second updates

David Patte ₯ dpatte at relativedata.com
Tue Aug 13 01:11:33 UTC 2013

On our own server we run a cron job that looks for new versions of the
tz database at iana every 4 hours. This is done using wget & ftp. It
then downloads any new versions it finds to our own ftp server.

Then, our Windows product, Time Zone Master, installed on client
machines, polls our own ftp server for updates every 4 hours (when the
app is running) using anon ftp. When a new version is found, it is
downloaded to the clients Windows machines and uncompressed in the
background, then the app then uses the new tz files immediately.

New versions are simply identified by the tzdata filename.

No special new protocols.

Perhaps you could implement something similiar?