[tz] attic data for the tz database

Richard Johnson rjohnson at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 29 20:28:32 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 08:33:13PM +0100, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> pre-1970 data that we do have will be retained and accessible.

I'd prefer the same, on behalf of coworkers.

In discussions with computational climatologist friends and colleagues
I've found that they care about historical time differences at any given
meteorological, tide, etc. measurement station location.

They use historical climate records to validate models, among other things.
They take note of the difference between local time and what became UTC
when a time of day is specified for historical temperatures and tides.

The TZ project's collection of historical time differences is useful input
for their work, especially when it comes with references regarding what the
local meteorologist and their neighbors were likely to consider "the time".

On their behalf, I'd prefer to see what's been deduced regarding pre-1970
times retained in the project, or at least exported intact (or as intact as
it's become :) ) in a usable format.

Richard