[tz] attic data for the tz database

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Fri Aug 30 08:20:18 UTC 2013

On 30 August 2013 09:08, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
> Lester Caine wrote:
>>> This will be a smaller change to the database now, which I
>>> assume is a good thing.
>>
>> In which case we have to start setting up a second database
>
> It's no big either way, so if you'd rather
> have a larger attic and if Stephen doesn't care, let's
> make it larger.  I'll send out a proposed patch shortly,
> which creates the attic in zic input format, so that it
> can be used to further populate the database if you like.
> This is all still experimental, but at least the latest
> experimental version has recovered the pre-1970 data that
> people were concerned about.

FWIW, I can see an attic file working if there is an additional loader
rule. The loader rule would have to say that a zone in the attic file
takes precedence over a link with the same ID. I think that is doable.
Please make clear any other restrictions that your approach has.

BTW, I haven't researched it in detail, but according to the proposal
I put forward, I would prefer there to be separate zones for each of
the Balkan countries which may affect what you put in the attic. I'd
use that proposal to guide what the initial set of things in the attic
is.

Stephen