[tz] Dealing with Pre-1970 Data

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Sat Aug 31 11:20:37 UTC 2013

On Aug 31, 2013, at 12:45 AM, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:

> I do like this particular change but in does only need to be an agreed standard for taking location information and creating a time offset?

To which particular change are you referring?

> The 'equation' can then be used with any location just by feeding the coordinates in, so there is no need for a 'database'.

I assume you're not asserting here that a simple mathematical formula, with latitude and longitude as variables, that results in the offset of "standard time" from UTC for that location exists, given that no such formula can exists (note the word "simple" there - if it were a simple problem, the tz database wouldn't have been created in the first place).

> In fact, any existing 'location' in the database we should be able to access TZ offset, and LMT offset as both have a purpose.

What do you mean by "LMT offset"?