[tz] Dealing with Pre-1970 Data

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Aug 31 18:21:21 UTC 2013

Steve Allen wrote:
> Even if this were the right venue, choosing a boundary for the
> transition between local apparent time and local mean time is
> just as arbitrary as a boundary for adoption of standard time.

LMT is just as valid today as in the past - there is no date to be considered,
and 'solar mid day' has not changed. Just as we have a few useful computer
oriented scripts for co-ordinate conversion, something similar for LMT would be
nice :)

Guy - others seem to have understood exactly where I was coming from, and the
reference TO LMT offset should have been enough to clarify that we were talking
about that element of the latest update. The point was that LMT is still valid
in parallel with a TZ offset ... it's not a matter of choosing between them. It
just depends on the context, which is why I was a little surprised Paul included
it, but it does provide a valid backdrop.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL