[tz] attic data for the tz database

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Aug 30 00:40:12 UTC 2013

Paul Eggert wrote:
>> >I'm not that interested in resurrecting long dead data
> OK, in that case we can make the attic smaller, and use it
> more on a going-forward basis, with 2003d as the starting point.
> This will be a smaller change to the database now, which I
> assume is a good thing.

In which case we have to start setting up a second database as a home for the
historical material that IS being used ... accurate documentation for daylight
saving exist back to the 1960s, and presumably there is also a record of the
confusion in the States prior to that? Certainly going back to diaries for
calendars with pre 2000 dates should return the correct time. This was the area
where I first found inconsistencies because of different rules being applied and
our getting meetings moved an hour as a result! Moving back in time from that,
getting the correct time difference between locations is equally important even
if arbitrarily calculated for location, but where historic material does exist
there should be SOME mechanism to combine that with the rest ... it was pulling
the available data together that started the existing database and EVERYTHING
gathered is important!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL