[tz] Rule names

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Fri Feb 1 17:52:39 UTC 2013

To answer the question of where to find these rule names, the history of
rule names is found in the Zone definition lines of the source.  For
example, for Asia/Karachi:

# Zone	NAME		GMTOFF	RULES	FORMAT	[UNTIL]
Zone	Asia/Karachi	4:28:12 -	LMT	1907
			5:30	-	IST	1942 Sep
			5:30	1:00	IST	1945 Oct 15
			5:30	-	IST	1951 Sep 30
			5:00	-	KART	1971 Mar 26 # Karachi Time
			5:00 Pakistan	PK%sT	# Pakistan Time

A rule of 1:00 advancement was applied from 1942 Sep until 1945 Oct 15, and
the ruleset named "Pakistan" has been applied since 1971 Mar 26.  You can
then look at the Rule definition lines named "Pakistan" to see that DST has
only been applied in 2002, 2008, and 2009:

# Rule	NAME	FROM	TO	TYPE	IN	ON	AT	SAVE	LETTER/S
Rule Pakistan	2002	only	-	Apr	Sun>=2	0:01	1:00	S
Rule Pakistan	2002	only	-	Oct	Sun>=2	0:01	0	-
Rule Pakistan	2008	only	-	Jun	1	0:00	1:00	S
Rule Pakistan	2008	only	-	Nov	1	0:00	0	-
Rule Pakistan	2009	only	-	Apr	15	0:00	1:00	S
Rule Pakistan	2009	only	-	Nov	1	0:00	0	-

--
Tim Parenti