[tz] TZ file comments UTF-8? Bastardized HTML? (was Re: Busingen revisited)

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Sun Jan 13 01:21:54 UTC 2013

Re what do editors do when they see a character with the high order bit
set, I've seen a few. Some crash hard, some stop reading, acting as though
it were eof. Some just display unexpected gibberish. Some seem to work, but
don't write a modified version out exactly correctly.

I recall occasions when the only text editor on a system that could
robustly edit the kernel as /dev/mem was gnu emacs. Or adb, of course, but
that didn't give bragging rights.