[tz] Bangladesh's TZ Abbreviation

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Fri Jan 18 17:54:59 UTC 2013

I noticed other non-bd sites with BdST.  None of the sites (for either code) seem persuasively authoritative.  References to BST are 1-off references, whereas the news site uses BdST consistently, but it's just one site.  I notice that Wikipedia has been using BdST for some time.  (Not that I'm saying it's a good source, and it didn't cite its references).

I suggest that the lack of good references is maybe because Bengali doesn't use the Latin script?  I can understand why someone may want to distinguish their abbreviation from BST though.

What has been the past policy for determining these abbreviations?  Particularly for non-Latin scripts, &/or where it may be difficult for us to find, read, &/or transliterate any native-language sources?

-Shawn