[tz] zdump no longer reports gmtoff

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Wed Jan 30 23:36:22 UTC 2013

    Date:        Wed, 30 Jan 2013 20:46:04 +0000
    From:        "Marvel, Jim (CPCOE)" <Jim.Marvel at honeywell.com>

  | What is breaking my heart is "Why did the lines drop off the gmtoff value, =
  | now ending with the isdst value?"

You have to talk to whoever built the version of zdump that you're using
(and as we don't distribute binaries, only sources, it wasn't us.).

If that was you (you compiled it yourself) then you need to look carefully
at the Makefile for instructions on how to use the gmtoff stuff if it is
available on your system.

If you got the binary as part of some system or other, then you need to
ask the system builders why they chose to exclude it.

  | Saw somewhere that tm_gmtoff is a GNU extension that may not be visible...

It was a BSD extension (that glibc copied, I presume).   These days it
exists most places, but there are probably stiff a few archaic systems
that don't have it.

kre