[tz] tzcode for windows?

Jonathan Leffler jonathan.leffler at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 19:56:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 11:29 AM, <random832 at fastmail.us> wrote:

> It came up as an aside in the earlier discussion about moving to
> uintmax_t, but I was wondering - is there any interest in a port to
> windows? I've got most of the way to a successful zic port (other tools
> don't work so well yet - everything compiles, but there are subtle
> incompatibilities that cause problems for the library functions)

I mentioned it.  It isn't any sort of priority item to me, personally.
However, at work, I have to pay passing attention to Windows and have hopes
to get time zone information from data produced by zic into a product, but
as long as zic works on Unix and the files can be transported to Windows,
that's (probably) fine — though having zic compile on Windows would
simplify customer-upgrades using the latest version of the TZ data.  All
very much in the future.  (And yes, I'm sure there are APIs on Windows for
the job; they're different from the Unix ones and that presents a problem.
And the uniform data source will be important, so people who use our
product on Windows and Unix will be able to get the same time-zone results
on both platforms, independently of whether the o/s is upgraded.  I believe
it would allow them more timely access to the changes that occur.)

--
Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leffler at gmail.com>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2013.0118 - http://dbi.perl.org