[tz] Australian Timezone Abbreviations (Daylight Savings Time)

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca
Fri Mar 29 04:55:49 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-27 23:17, Timothy Arceri wrote:

Checked for online acts and regs and found some below that offer some official
definitions and info.

>>From the New South Wales (NSW) government website:

http://communityrelations.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/cru/daylight/definitions_of_time.html

Standard Time Act 1987 No 149
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/inforcepdf/1987-149.pdf?id=7a3f6de4-5ec5-11dd-8fae-00144f4fe975

"Part 1
2 Definitions
In this Act:
Broken Hill means the County of Yancowinna.
New South Wales standard time means standard time as fixed by
section 3.
New South Wales summer time means summer time as fixed by section
7.
5 Standard time in Lord Howe Island
(1) Standard time in Lord Howe Island is:
(a) if an order under this section is not in force—10 hours and 30
minutes in advance of Co-ordinated Universal Time, or...
Part 3 Daylight saving
9 Summer time in Lord Howe Island
(1) During a summer time period, summer time in Lord Howe Island is:
(a) if an order under this section is not in force, 30 minutes in
advance of standard time as fixed for Lord Howe Island by or
under section 5, or..."

Lord Howe Island is not mentioned except in this act and switches from UTC+10.5
to UTC+11 (NSWST/AEDT).

> "Where Daylight saving is observed
>
> NSW, ACT,Vic and Tas move from AEST to Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT),
> and clocks are advanced to UTC +11.
>
> SA and the NSW town of Broken Hill move from ACST to Australian Central Daylight
> Time (ACDT), and clocks are advanced to UTC +10 ½.
>
> Daylight saving is not observed in Queensland, the Northern Territory or Western
> Australia."

NSW options seem to be NSWST or AEST and AEDT?
Except Broken Hill, go with ACST/ACDT?
Except Lord Howe Island LHST(UTC+10.5)/AEDT?
Others QST, NTST, WAST?

>>From the Victorian (Vic) government website:
 > http://ask.vic.gov.au/FA/Hybrid/Themes/infovic/displayresult.asp?MesId=1113410
"There are three timezones across Australia.
Information about the time observed in these zones can be found on the
Australian Government website. "

Go with AEST/AEDT?

>>From the Tasmania (Tas) government website:
> While they don’t use abbreviations for the eastern states they do reference the
> WA timezone using the format specified on the Australian government website.
>
> "As a result, Western Australia will not observe daylight saving and will remain
> on Australian Western Standard Time (AWST) all year."
>
> http://www.dpac.tas.gov.au/divisions/policy/daylightsavings

Go with AEST/AEDT?

>>From the South Australian government website:
> While I couldn't find any abbreviations on their website but 3/4 is a pretty
> good argument to change the status quo.
>
> http://www.safework.sa.gov.au/show_page.jsp?id=2675

Standard Time Act 2009 (repeals and replaces The Standard Time Act 1898)
http://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/A/STANDARD%20TIME%20ACT%202009/CURRENT/2009.4.UN.PDF

Daylight Savings Act 1971 (modified by Daylight Savings Regulations 2009 below)
http://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/A/DAYLIGHT%20SAVING%20ACT%201971/CURRENT/1971.54.UN.PDF

"South Australian standard time means the time declared by The Standard Time
Act 1898 to be standard time throughout South Australia;
South Australian summer time means the time to be observed throughout the State
as prescribed by this Act."

Daylight Savings Regulations 2009
http://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/R/DAYLIGHT%20SAVING%20REGULATIONS%202009/CURRENT/2009.61.UN.PDF

"4—South Australian summer time
For the purposes of the Act, the prescribed period for the observance of South
Australian summer time is the period from 2.00 am South Australian standard time
on the first Sunday in October until 3.00 am South Australian summer time on the
first Sunday in the following April."

Options seem to be SAST or ACST and ACDT.