[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Mar 30 20:12:07 UTC 2013

On 03/29/13 10:01, David Patte ₯ wrote:
> lets at least adopt the national one

If I recall correctly, the last time I checked,
different parts of the Australian national government
used different terminology and/or abbreviations and
nobody seemed to be in charge.

This area of confusion is not new, by the way:

   The ABC could not be more or less explicit than it was
   in the term "Eastern Australian daylight saving time,"
   said an official of the commission yesterday, when replying
   to a statement by a correspondent of The Argus, that the
   phrase was cumbersome....  The suggestion that the ABC should
   adopt the term "Eastern summer time" was unsatisfactory...

  -- "A B C and summer time", The Argus (Melbourne),
     1942-10-07, page 5, col. 2.
     <http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/11999053>