[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect

John Hawkinson jhawk at mit.edu
Sun Mar 31 08:36:09 UTC 2013

Guy Harris <guy at alum.mit.edu> wrote on Sun, 31 Mar 2013
at 01:29:20 -0700 in <229CCDC4-FE7E-4175-820A-D125AFF437D3 at alum.mit.edu>:

> Then perhaps we need to give them an incentive to speak, such as...
> ..."this is the last change we will make, so speak now or forever

We have spent more time debating the possible ramifications of a change
than we are likely to receive complaints about the change.

It would be foolish to foreclose future changes. If, for instance,
we received 10x as much feedback on the change in 1 month as we have
received over this issue as debated in the past 5 years, then we should
reasonable consider reverting. Forcelosing that would be unwise.

At this point I do think we are being silly and reactionary.  IMO, we
should make the change, clearly articulate the reasons, and see what
happens.

I suspect we will get very few complaints.

(Perhaps someone in favor of the change would like to draft a
bulletproof summary of the situation and the justification for making
the change. That could be circulated along with the tzdata update that
implements the change.)

--jhawk at mit.edu
  John Hawkinson