[tz] tabs vs spaces

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Wed May 1 12:24:21 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013, at 8:08, Tobias Conradi wrote:
> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 1:35 PM,  <random832 at fastmail.us> wrote:
> > Tokens in the timezone files are separated by _any whitespace_.
> I don't see the word "token" in ftp://ftp.iana.org/tz/code/Theory

It's the plain english meaning of the word. Theory does not contain a
specification for the format of these files. And you knew that, so what
was the point of making this post?

Any whitespace is the separation in the format that zic accepts (as
evidenced by the fact that these lines don't, in fact, break anything),
I have no idea why people are trying to impose a tab-separated format on
it, particularly when they don't have a consistent _number_ of tabs
regardless (in northamerica alone, there are 455 lines that begin with a
tab, 9 that have extra tabs at the end, and 7 that have two tabs between
two fields).