[tz] tabs vs spaces

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu May 2 18:33:55 UTC 2013

James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com> writes:

> zic.c uses isascii(3) and isspace(3), so it is libc and locale
> dependent, although in practice the use of isascii(3) should minimize
> that dependence.  Maybe even eliminate it.

A lot of software uses isspace(3) in places where it feels to me like
isblank(3) would be more appropriate, probably because isblank(3) is
relatively new (C99 and POSIX).  I wonder if this is one such place.

It doesn't particularly matter, since the chances of running into one of
the characters that differ is quite remote, but intuitively I would expect
an occurrence of a vertical tab in the middle of a zic.c input file line
to be more likely to be corruption than an intentional whitespace
character.