[tz] tabs vs spaces

John Hawkinson jhawk at mit.edu
Fri May 3 00:35:13 UTC 2013

Guy Harris <guy at alum.mit.edu> wrote on Thu,  2 May 2013
at 16:30:20 -0700 in <1B3C2E16-89CD-4876-B8C4-969776CAD2C7 at alum.mit.edu>:

> I might suggest that the format of the time zone data files be
> published in an RFC, and that the format of the binary files
> produced by zic perhaps be treated as an implementation detail and
> left in the man page.

Why would we want the data files to be standardized rather than
retaining local control and the ability to alter the format? Is there
really some compelling reason for standardization that is worth
the concomitant difficulty in changing the format in the future?

There are not a lot of non-zic consumers out there.

--jhawk at mit.edu
  John Hawkinson