[tz] Proposal to use Asia/Tel_Aviv for Israel - Jerusalem is not internationally recognized as part of Israel

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun May 5 04:57:57 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 9:51 PM, <Paul_Koning at dell.com> wrote:

> Can we please stop this silly stuff?  I'm getting tired of putting tz
> mailing list senders on my spam list.

Indeed.  Any time we're breaking into stuff like this ...

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Kevin Lyda <kevin at ie.suberic.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Tobias Conradi
> <mail.2012 at tobiasconradi.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 6:34 PM, Kevin Lyda <kevin at ie.suberic.net>
> wrote:
> >> Shouldn't it be Asia/تل أبيب?
> > Not according to:
> > ftp://ftp.iana.org/tz/code/Theory
> > Use only valid POSIX file name components (i.e., the parts of
> >                 names other than `/').  Within a file name component,
> >                 use only ASCII letters, `.', `-' and `_'.
> And you just accept that? Why shouldn't the Arabic name be used - is
> this further European injustice against the peaceful Palestinian
> people?
> >> I don't think we should make any change.
> > Why that?
> Why did you partially quote me and then ask me a question that the
> part you deleted answered. My full sentence was, "Until the name can
> be expressed properly in the local language, I don't think we should
> make any change."
> Is this because you realise that I have exposed your pro-Israel bias?

It doesn't matter if it's serious or tongue-in-cheek, it's not useful at
all.

Yes, beyond just inconsiderations that start all the way back with ARPANET,
ANSI and other legacy details, we all live in the "real world."  And yes,
we can all also debate the history, issues, injustices, etc... of the
world, and make many, many subjective arguments in many directions.  But
despite how little or much we do, all in the name of awareness and
understanding, all we're going to do is end up with the exact same,
technical issues.

For the most part, the overwhelming majority of people here are not
insensitive, but also do not have an agenda other than a technical one,
because, simply, it's as objective as we can be, even if imperfect, even if
not everyone has the same experiences, even if not everyone is aware of
every detail.  Just try to remain focused on the technical issues and try
to come up with solutions that are as considerate as possible while still
feasible given how the project has always operated, for impartiality as
best as it can.

-- bjs