[tz] Proposal to use Asia/Tel_Aviv for Israel - Jerusalem is not internationally recognized as part of Israel

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Tue May 7 21:02:24 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 7, 2013, at 16:01, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> Yes, at least one timezone exists for any region, by definition, as
> long as that region actually has a physical location, as the timezone
> identifiers are meant to (roughly) identify the largest city within a
> region (where region is not defined by political boundaries).

This is where you are mistaken.

The regions are _absolutely_ defined by political boundaries. It's why
we have separate regions for Norway, Denmark, and Sweden, instead of one
for all of them; it's why we have a separate region for that little bit
of Germany that follows Switzerland's timezone (Europe/Busingen),
instead of simply drawing a single region around it and Europe/Zurich.